Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Lists, lists, everywhere!

As I have been doing every spring for the last dozen years, I have been busily engaged--and actively prodding my kiddos to be busily engaged--in mapping out our learning journey for next school year.

For us, given that we are classical whole-book homeschoolers, this means selecting topics each student wants to study and finding works of nonfiction and fiction that correspond not only with their chosen coursework but with their academic level. Every year I do the same thing. I spend hours and hours canvasing my favorite online sites and books about books to put together lists that meet the kids' needs and desires. Never mind hours and hours. Let's just be frank here and call it like it is. I spend weeks and weeks, sometimes over a month, looking for just the right book for each and every topic at just the right reading level.

Every. Single. Spring.

I have lists on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, LibraryThing. Endless yellow legal pads speak of hours of research. Moleskine notebooks are full to bursting. I have lists to remind me where my myriad collection of lists can be located.

Ridiculous, right?

A couple of years ago, I thought about creating this blog, partly as a resource for other homeschooling parents but mostly as a place to safely consolidate all those hours of work and all those lists. No, I decided, setting up the whole thing would just take far too long. After two more years of discombobulated research, I have come to the conclusion that while it might take a bit to make the whole thing pretty and functional, in the end it will save me hours of work every year. 

Another thing I hope it will do is help other whole-book homeschooling parents looking for materials. Most of the resources that can be found on these pages have been typed out in emails and written in long-hand notes given to other moms over the years. Now I will just be able to refer parents to this blog.

Enjoy browsing and check back frequently, as I will add books as I find them and other parents recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment